Saturday, July 9, 2011

TURKISH DELIGHT

So another food post.





I went to the local shop today to grab some small things and I noticed the man who owns the shop, Kuş Mehmet (Dorion and I have become friends with him), was giggling with another man in the store.  The men around here do not giggle.  I also noticed their hands were covered in a white powder.  What was going on?  When I walked further into the shop I saw that the were pulling apart a sticky powdery substance that looked sort of like honey.  They both looked up, a little sheepishly at being caught so giddy, and greeted me.  Kuş Mehmet beckoned me over and asked if I wanted to try some of what they were having.  He held up the long stick, as thick as a stick of butter, and told me to rip off a piece.  I grabbed the end of the powdery golden bar and pulled.  It came apart like silly putty and tasted like the child of Japanese rice candy and honey, dressed up in lots of powdered sugar.  It was so good.

I smiled wide and the men laughed at me a bit because I was just as pleased as they were (I also had powdered sugar all down my shirt).  As soon as I could speak, Turkish Delight is very sticky, I asked to buy the rest of the stick.  I brought it back to the cave for Dorion and me to enjoy.

I really really liked it.



Dorion did not like it as much.




There is a small back story on why I am sooo excited about getting to try Turkish Delight.

I don't know at exactly what age, but when I was little, one of my relatives got our family the BBC version of the Chronicles of Narnia VHS set.  I loved The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.  I loved it the most of all the movies in the series.  I could watch that version over and over again.  No real special effects.  No talking animals made with CGI, the beavers in this rendition were just people in giant beaver outfits.  My favorite part of the movie is when Edmund gets lured by the White Witch with something warm to drink and whatever type of delicious food he could want.  What food does Edmund choose?  Why Turkish Delight of course!  In the movie the Turkish Delight looked amazing.  They were these cubes of whitish stuff in a bright silver box.  I have dreamt of trying Turkish Delight from the first viewing of that great adaptation of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe and today I finally lived my dream.



Also today, we hand washed a lot of laundry.  I have hand washed a few things before, delicate items, but never this much.  My arms hurt.  

No comments:

Post a Comment